LOREM IPSUM DOLOR

Left Content

Right Content

FSTA_Flower-Show_Web-Banner

Clarens

Established in 1912, the town of Clarens was a result of two farms being sold Leliehook was bought from Hermanus Steyn in 1910/11 and Piet De Villiers sold his farm Naauwpoort (situated near the Titanic rock) to a company at the time wanting to have village in the area, the two farms were divided into even and sold for fifty pounds. And after negotiations a decision was made to name the village after President Paul Kruger influence on the area after he as a voluntarily exile lived his last days in the town of Clarens in Switzerland.

Clarens often referred to as a ‘jewel’ of the Free State, and one such ‘jewel’ is its Titanic Rock. The most notable sandstone cliff in the area is situated just 2kms north of Clarens. It’s a huge rock that stands like a sentry to welcome all who visit the village. The uniquely shaped rock forms part of Clarens history as it was named by a resident after the Titanic ship tragically sunk. Due to its remarkable resemblance and being shaped like the bow of the ship.

The town of Clarens in the Eastern Free State, is an artist's hideout. One can easily see why creative people gain inspiration from its beautiful surrounds. For nature, art and fun, Clarens is an ideal getaway. Situated along the Eagle Route, a stone's throw from the Golden Gate Highlands National Park, Clarens is blessed with soul-stirring views. The Golden Gate gets its name from the shades of gold and ochre cast by the sun on the sandstone cliffs for which the region is famous.

Many of the homes, restaurants and shops in Clarens were crafted from sandstone, contributing to the town's appeal.

cinda