KOPANONG LOCAL MUNICIPALITY
Kopanong Local Municipality is an administrative area in the Xhariep District of the Free State province. The name is a Sesotho word meaning ‘meeting place or where people are invited’. The name earmarks unity and seeks to encourage cooperation. The municipality has the largest surface area of the three local municipalities in the Xhariep District.
Basic agricultural products are exported from the area for processing and re-imported into the area as consumer products. Historical events that took place in the municipality, aspects of the natural and man-made environment and local activities may form the basis for promoting tourism as a significant economic activity.
Some of these events, and man-made and natural environment aspects are: ‘Lake Gariep’ and the Gariep Water Festival; the game reserve at Lake Gariep; Jagersfontein Mine; the ‘Tiger Project’ in Philippolis; the Orange River Ravine from the Gariep Dam wall to the PK le Roux Dam wall; battlefields of significant battles conducted during the Anglo-Boer War, e.g. Mostert’s Hoek; Philippolis ‘Witblits’ Festival; historical buildings in Philippolis, e.g. the Dutch Reformed Church, library, old jail, the house where Lourens van der Post was born, Adam Kok’s house (the Griqua leader) and a kraal and structure where gunpowder was kept; and Fauresmith horse endurance run.
Cities/Towns: Bethulie, Edenburg, Fauresmith, Gariep Dam, Jagersfontein, Philippolis, Reddersburg, Springfontein, Trompsburg, Waterkloof.
Main Economic Sectors: Agriculture (38%), general government (23%), finance (13.3%), trade (10.2%)
Trompsburg is named after Jan and Sebastiaan Tromp, owners of the farm Middelwater on which the town was founded in 1882. Trompsburg is a small agricultural town & one of Free State’s best Marino seep products manufacturers. Although Trompsburg is a small town, it boasts of being the Chief Municipal over a few towns in the region.
Old Toll Bridge
Arts & Crafts
Shoe production project run by beneficiaries from district wide, variety of shoe patterns are being produced and sold to communities
Edenburg is situated 83km south-west of Bloemfontein. This typical Transgariep town, nestled in the golden prairies alongside the county’s busiest National road, sets its own pace as a prosperous sheep and cattle farming centre. The town was founded on 24 February 1862 when the farm Rietfontein was purchased to build a church. The economy of the town and 2000 square km district is based on sheep and cattle ranching.
Situated on the N6, only 60km south of Bloemfontein, the town was established around the Reformed Church Reddersburg, which was established on the farm Thorbeck on 7 May 1859. The church counsel bought the farm Vlakfontein to establish the town. The name is Afrikaans and means “Saviour’s Town”, from “God is our Saviour”. The town was managed by the church until 1894 when it was handed over to the municipality on agreement that a hereditary tenure of 33 pounds sterling must be paid by the municipality to the church on an annual basis.
During the Second Boer War, Reddersburg was the site of one of the last victories for the Boer forces over the British. Troops led by General Christiaan de Wet attacked a convoy of 600 of the Royal Irish Rifles on April 4, 1900, and obtained their surrender the next day.
Springfontein is a small mixed farming town in the Free State province of South Africa.
The town was established in 1904 on the farm Hartleydale, which was part of the farm Springfontein. The name Springfontein, which is Afrikaans for “jumping spring”, stems from the existence of a spring on the farm. A village management board was established in 1904 and the town attained municipal status in 1912.
Farming with sheep, cattle and maize is prevalent in the district, and in the early part of the twentieth century the Springfontein Creameries were one of the main employers.
The town is an important railway junction on the main line to Johannesburg, being the point where the Bloemfontein line converges with the East London and Port Elizabeth lines and where a westward line to other Free State towns commences.
|Concentration camps||Housed 700 Boers and British victim’s graves|
|it’s a house next to the concentration cap site where Emily Hop House the Cornish woman who campaigned for better conditions for boer women during boer war stayed during her visits to springfontein|
Bethulie is a small sheep and cattle farming town in the Free State province of South Africa. The name meaning chosen by God was given by directors of a mission station in 1829 which the town formed around. The mission building is the oldest settler built building still standing in the Free State. The town was also home to one of the largest concentration camps run by the British during the Boer War.
Gariep dam is the largest dam in South Africa and its constructed on the orange river close to the N1, on the provincial boarders of the Eastern Cape and the Free State, close to Colesburg. Gariep Dam was built by a French company called Dumez. Its primary purpose is for irrigation, domestic and industrial use as well as for power generation. The Gariep Dam was originally named Hendrik Verwoerd on its commission in 1971. After the apartheid Verwoerd was considered unsuitable. The name was officially changed on the 4 October 1996. The Gariep Dam is the largest storage reservoir in South Africa.
Gariep Dam is the most central point of the Republic of South Africa. An excellent road network connects the town to the Eastern Cape, North and South Namibia and Botswana.
Jagersfontein is a small town in the Free State province of South Africa. The original farm on which the town stands was once the property of a Griqua Jacobus Jagers, hence the name Jagersfontein. He sold the farm to C.F. Visser in 1854. A diamond rush started in 1870 after farmer J.J. de Klerk found a 50 carat (10 g) diamond. This was about three years before diamonds were discovered 130 km away at Kimberley.
Mines no longer operate in Jagersfontein, but there were many great finds, such as the 972 carat (194.4 g) Excelsior Diamond of 1893 and the 637 carat (127.4 g) Reitz Diamond of 1895. The Jagersfontein Mine is the deepest hand-excavated hole in the world.
Jagersfontein was one of the more famous diamond mines and together with the Koffiefontein mine produced one the clearest diamonds of all mines in the early 1900s, despite being overshadowed by the mines at Kimberley. Streeter called Jagersfontein’s diamonds of the “first water”.
|Is one of the oldest mine beginning in 1870, the blue and white jagers has become a standard regarding diamond quality throughout the world|
|Is worth visiting to see the big-hole and various Herbet- Baker designed buildings and the corse to wonder through Glass Studio and pick out a couple of wire and glass mementos|
Fauresmith is located 130 km south west of Bloemfontein, South Africa. The town, named after Rev Phillip Faure and Sir Harry Smith, is the second oldest town in the Free State.
Fauresmith is the only town in South Africa, and one of only three in the world, where the railway line runs down the centre of the main road.
The town is well known in equestrian circles for the annual National Equestrian Endurance Race, during which the horses and riders must complete a grueling 205 km course during the three days of the event. Winters are extremely cold with temperatures often below freezing.
|Church Tree||The tree under which Fauresmith’s first communion service was held.|
|City Hall||A stately, authentic Victorian – styl building.|
|Dr WH Boshoff Homestead||An excellent example of sandstone architecture, now a national monument.|
|Historic railway||A discussed steam locomotive lies on tracks running right up the centre of the main street.|
|Old Standard Bank Building||A national monument; one of the oldest bank buildings in the country|