LETSEMENG LOCAL MUNICIPALITY
Letsemeng Local Municipality is situated in the south-western Free State province within the Xhariep District Municipality, a rather agriculturally rich area with limited natural economic resources. Koffiefontein is the municipal head office.
The socio-economic growth of the municipality is centred on agriculture. The municipal area also has mining activities, with diamond minerals being the major natural resource that helps with employment creation.
Cities/Towns: Jacobsdal, Koffiefontein, Luckhoff, Oppermansgronde, Petrusburg
Main Economic Sectors: Agriculture, farming
Koffiefontein is situated on the R48, 140kms south-west of Bloemfontein. In the 1800s, Koffiefontein was a stopover spot for transport riders traveling between the coast and the diamond fields and gold mines to the north. “Coffee fountain” is a reference to the strong coffee brew transport riders made by during their stopover. “Coffee fountain” involved transport riders grinding their own coffee beans (often with a spoon) and using the water of a natural spring to boil for the brew. Upon the discovery of diamonds near the natural spring in 1870, a town quickly developed at the Koffiefontein stopover spot, as prospectors began to mine the area in search of high quality diamonds.
Koffiefontein’s proximity to Mafikeng and Kimberley meant that it became involved in the Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). Blockhouses, which served as defensive fortresses, were erected by the British in 1900 and are still standing in the twenty-first century.
Jacobsdal lies on the R705, 145 km west of Bloemfontein and only 15km east of the Northern Cape Provincial border.
In 1867 when diamonds were discovered in South Africa, the most important alluvial diamond diggings were in the Jacobsdal district. After the discovery, the Cape Colony claimed the largest part of the Jacobsdal district. This small farming community lays claim to having the first wine cellar ever built outside of the Cape Province and only one in the Free State. Wines of a good quality are produced by two wine cellars, Landzicht and Wilreza. In terms of livestock the focus is on sheep but there are also recently established large dairy establishments
A small mixed farming town in the Free State province of South Africa. It started out as a Dutch Reformed Church serving the farms in 1891. When it became a town, it was originally started on a farm close to “Emmaus”, a railway station on the line between Bloemfontein and Kimberley. The original foundations are still there, but they ran out of water, and had to move to the present location where a strong fountain was available. So much so that the first houses had free running water from the fountain for irrigation.
The town was named after Petrus Albertus Venter, whose farm, Diepfontein, provided the original land. It is situated between Bloemfontein (80 km on the N8) and Kimberley (80 km on the N8). The main activity in the area is sheep farming and the main crops are maize and potatoes. There are also numerous salt pans in the district. Many authentic attesting to the strife the town has lived through.
Lückhoff is a small merino sheep farming town in the Free State province of South Africa. It was established on the farm Koffiekuil in 1892 and named after a Dutch Reformed Church Minister Reverend HJ Luckhoff.
Nowadays the bulk of the sheep found in this district are dorper sheep and not merino. A small number of farmers also stock an indigenous sheep breed known as the damara.
The town is located 82 km north-west of Philippolis and 56 km west of Fauresmith. The Dutch Reformed Church 100 years old (1892), build out of stones from the area. In front of the City Hall stands a gas lamp that was used as a street light in earlier years.
– Gunpowder house from the Anglo
– Boer War
|Commemorating the Groot Trek, +/- 3km outside the town on the Fauresmith road|
|100 years old Primary School||“Osewa” tracks dating from Trek in front of the school.|
|Dutch Reformed Church||
100 years old (1892), build out of stones from the area.
In front of the City Hall stands Gaslamp that was used as a streetlight in earlier years.