MANTSOPA LOCAL MUNICIPALITY
Mantsopa Local Municipality forms part of the eastern Free State and falls within the Thabo Mofutsanyana District Municipality. It borders the Kingdom of Lesotho in the east, Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality to the west, Naledi Local Municipality to the south, and Masilonyana and Setsoto to the north. The area is accessible via the N8 and R26 roads, which transverse the area. A railway line that runs along these routes services the area. The municipality incorporates five small towns, which accommodate a large proportion of the total population of Mantsopa. These small towns serve the surrounding rural community. It comprises of 5 towns and that is Excelsior, Hobhouse, Ladybrand, Thaba Patchoa and Tweespruit.
This thriving agricultural town was founded in 1867 after the Basotho wars as chief town of the newly conquered territory. The district has numerous rock art sites, dinosaur footprints, opportunities for birdwatching and beautiful scenery. It is situated 18km from Maseru, the capital of Lesotho. The town was named after Lady (Catharine) Brand, the mother of the speaker of the Cape Province legislative assembly, Sir Christoffel Brand.The settlement of Ladybrand was created by Voortrekkers to give them control over the territories conquered and captured after the above-mentioned Basotho war. In 1900, during the Second Anglo-Boer War, Ladybrand came under the control of the British.
An experimental farm was set up on an old British Anglo-Boer War settlement between ‘two creeks’, and the farm flourished into modern-day Tweespruit. The dairy-farming town features an excellent agricultural school.
Town 32 km north-east of Wepener and 51 km south-west of Ladybrand, near the Lesotho border. It was laid out on the farm Poortjie in 1912 and attained municipal status in 1913. Named after Emily Hobhouse (1860-1926), author and philanthropist who brought to public notice abuses in concentration camps during the Anglo-Boer War
It is a small farming town in the Free State province of South Africa. It was formed by farmers in 1910 who wanted a town which was closer to them than Winburg and Ladybrand. The farmers had to decide on which farm the town will be established. The two farms were Sunshine and Excelsior (Latin), which, translated to English means “Higher Up”, or in Afrikaans “Hoër Op”. The farm Excelsior was chosen due to its higher location. The first church was erected in the vicinity of where the Farmers Co-op is situated today. Excelsior was a newsworthy town in the late 1960s and early 1970s for 19 people contravening the Immorality Act under Apartheid Legislation also known as the Excelsior.